Course created by Zuzana Bic
Case Studies in Public Health Practice
Presents case studies in various themes of public health practice to demonstrate how the principles of public health were established and continue to evolve.
Public Health Sciences and Public Health Policy majors have first consideration for enrollment. Course Requirements: Lectures, Links and Videos each week, Discussion Forum assigned topic each week, Presentation a 5-minute audio narrative PowerPoint presentation with 6-10 slides and a peer review evaluation of a classmate’s presentation, Research Paper based on a 6 step analysis and will be the same topic as presentation, Active Participation each week, Quizzes 10 questions each for 7 quizzes, Exams midterm and final exam; $15 fee for ProctorU for each exam, Extra Credit up to 9 points of possible extra credit *More detailed information at the extended syllabus at your class website.
Midterm and Final exam - Each exam will consist of 60 questions with 60 points. You will have 60 minutes and you will take the exams with Proctor U online. Please click here for a sample of student's work
Some Examples on the Cases and Topics to be covered in the class:
- Global Health Systems and Analysis of Public Health Cases
- Assessment Cases: A Feasibility Study of Routine Screening for HIV in an Urban Emergency Department
- Policy Development Cases: An Outbreak of Yellow Fever in Paraguay:
- Assurance Cases : Cardiac Rehabilitation for the Elderly: A Public Health Perspective
- Ethics Cases: Health Care Ethics Committee
- Cases on Leadership: AIDSCAP Nepal
- Cases on Global Health:
- Saving Mothers’ Lives in Sri Lanka.
- Preventing Diarrheal Deaths in Egypt.
- Controlling Trachoma in Morocco.
- Reducing Guinea Worm in Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Controlling Chagas Disease in the Southern Cone of South America.
- Preventing Dental Caries in Jamaica
- PUBLIC HEALTH IN ACTION (PRACTICING IN THE REAL WORLD), How Do You Know if You Have Succeeded?
Registration opens: Nov 23, 2018
Registration ends: Jan 6, 2019
First day of instruction: Jan 7, 2019
Last day of instruction: Mar 15, 2019
Please click here to download a syllabus for this course.
Online proctoring by ProctorU: Costs vary; average cost is between $20 and $60 per course.
Zuzana Bic, DrPH, MUDr.